Design Resume

Sunday, March 22, 2009

TAH-DAHHH!!!




Yeah! My dress is finally finished! I finished on Friday and have been so busy that I couldn't post until today.

There are pleats in the center of the bust and at the bottom of the sleeves. Let me tell you....those were not fun! The material is slippery and was hard to keep in place as I ran it through the machine. A few times the machine decided to EAT my dress; once so bad that it made a hole trying to get it out which I then had to patch. Grrr! Creating the "V" in the neckline was the hardest part. I would pin the two pieces together and get ready to sew it only to see that the fabric had moved and the cuts didn't line up. After about 20 tries, I finally got it in line and ran it through. I did all of this hard stuff first since I new I'd be really frustrated if I saved it for the end and it hindered me from finishing.

The rest of the sewing went pretty smoothly. I would get a little scared running the 4-5 layers of fabric where the pleats were through the machine, but it handled it like a champ! I really lucked out too because the length was perfect AND even! Yeah, one less step!


When I tried on the finished product it was too big. I had measured myself (three times) at one size, but this was two or three sizes too big. The other ladies in my Eastern Star group said to just go by your shirt size, but I didn't want it to be too small. Better to big and take in than too small and start over. I was a little peeved, but I new I could conquer this easily now that I've learned how. I was able to take the sleeve in and the bodice to make it more form fitting.


I think it turned out pretty darn good for my first sewing project. When I wore it to our Eastern Star event last night, all the ladies commented on how well it look and they were surprised that it was my first time. It made me very proud. This has made me realize the old saying "you can do anything you set your mind to" is so true! I thought I wouldn't be able to do this, but I just kept telling myself that I could and "Viola!" I did it! Try something new and daring yourselves; you might be surprised of your abilities!

(can't wait to start crafting again though!) ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An Eastern Star girl huh? Tried the Job-ies in my younger days. Was it a Grand Chapter thing? The dress turned out great. You have WAY more gusto than me...I can sew a straight line but to actually make something that you wear...well, let's just say I'd be afraid that it would come undone whilst wearing it...YIKES!!! So I stick to sewing on my paper crafts.

You did a great job!